Sunday, September 22, 2013

How Blogging Has Helped Me With My Tumblr Obsession

The title really says it all.

I, like many before me, got sucked into Tumblr the moment I joined. I have some friends there, and I definitely have some awesome followers. I would queue hundreds of post and like ten thousand more (to be queued later...and that I never got to...whoops). So you could say that I was a bit obsessed. I was always trying to improve my Tumblr. I was always trying to get new followers. I was always trying to come up with a new URL and a new queue tag (and I still am...for both).

And I would procrastinate. A lot. And go on Tumblr. A lot. Maybe more than a lot. -.-

But then this blog came up! So I'm trying to do many of the things I did on Tumblr in some sense. I wish I was creative enough to come up with a better URL. I wish I could be creative enough to make my own header or button. I wish I was more technologically smart so that I could have a snazzy cool theme. (Or I at least hoped it would be as easy to find amazing themes like it is on Tumblr. Alas, it works VERY differently. And I still have no idea how to code anything for either.) I try my best to increase my viewership, though it's a lot harder here.

But this blog also means that I'm not on Tumblr anymore. Like almost at all. In the past month, I've rarely posted (for a couple of reasons, not just because of this blog). But really, blogging takes up SO MUCH TIME. A lot more time than Tumblr. This blog requires reading, watching TV shows and movies, listening to music, writing reviews, exploring, connecting, etc. And Tumblr has a lot of that too. But it's different. There, you can just reblog something. I can get away with not watching a show. I can get away with not posting. I can get away with just procrastinating. Here, yes, I'm still procrastinating, but it's a different kind of procrastinating. At least I'm still reading and writing. Yeah, it's a TON more work, but it feels a lot more fulfilling (okay, that might not be true. whatever).

So I guess there wasn't really a point to this post other than to admit that I've hardly been on Tumblr (sorry followers and friends!) because I've been so preoccupied with blogging (and related things, especially Twitter and author chats and the whole shebang). Maybe it's better. Maybe it's not. I definitely don't have the same kind of followers here, but blogging has it's fair share of drama (Goodreads anyone?), and just like Tumblr, it takes a lot to establish yourself and get yourself out there. Am I up for it? Maybe. Maybe not. Will I ever abandon this blog and go back to being Tumblr obsessed? Maybe. But I'm willing to give this blog a chance. One day, it'll be worth it, I hope. I'll have blogger friends. I'll read so many more books. I'll learn more about books and writing and craft and awesome-ness. I'll connect and chat with authors and other cool people. Most importantly, I'll continue to have fun.

Are you Tumblr obsessed? Have you had a similar experience?

2 comments:

  1. That makes sense, about blogging being more fulfilling. Tumblr is a passive experience for most people: see a thing you like that's made or written by someone else and reblog. Whereas with blogging, you're actively consuming media. You're thinking, analyzing, comparing. You set up your own schedule and feel fulfilled at the end of the week because you contributed. You put words out on the screen that weren't there before. You're interacting with people with similar interests and goals. It makes a lot of sense, and I like what you're doing here. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear your thoughts. Let me know in the comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...