Thursday, September 12, 2013

Favorite Fierce Moment in Crewel (SPOILERS)

As you may (or may not) know, I finished Crewel recently. This also meant that I signed up to #JoinThe Agenda (join here!) So this week, they've asked that we share our favorite fierce moment in the book. (I'm also going to make a post more specifically geared towards The Agenda and the scholarships Gennifer is offering but!)

Let's start off with me admitting that I'm already a bit hazy on the details of this book, but the one thing I do remember is Adelice, and if anything, she's DEFINITELY fierce. But I think that my favorite moment would have to be right near the end when (SPOILERS) she has to be the one to decide whether or not she'll take the chance and go to Earth. Before then, almost everything in her life had been laid out for her and decided for her. Before then, she never truly had to face what she didn't know. She was faced with a possibly permanent decision. She had been surrounded in a society where girls are told and expected to be lesser than men. She had faced big, treacherous situations before, but none had been as huge as that moment.

And you know what? She went anyway. She decided that for once in her life, she was going to change her destiny. She wasn't going to let anyone tell her what to do. She wasn't going to keep sticking around, hoping that the Guild would change. She took matters into her own hands. She listened to her own heart and intuition. She was willing to go to an unknown place where she could potentially die, dragging along with her other people, making her responsible for them as well. But she stood up to the Guild and to Cormac and to Maela and to everyone else. She wanted to prove that political power doesn't mean you have power over free will. And she did.

That is basically why I pick this as my favorite fierce moment. Because she's proving that she has power too, and she uses that power to try and spread the truth and create a better world.

I'm not very creative at all and haven't had much time, but I decided to write a short song based on/inspired by this scene so here you go!


~~~
A Permanent Decision
Feel the silence rippling through the room
What to say, what to do, what to think?
All eyes looking at me,
letting me know that it's all my choice.

What to say, what to do, what to think
when your world is falling apart around you?
What to say, what to do, what to think
when you're about to lose everything?
What to say, what to do, what to think
when you've got to make a choice
that will change your life forever?
But what would happen if you don't?

The unknown settles in my skin
What to say, what to do, what to think?
Looking at the strands, colorful around me,
I know I'm running out of time.

But what to say, what to do, what to think
when your world is falling apart around you?
What to say, what to do, what to think
when you're about to lose everything?
What to say, what to do, what to think
when you've got to make a choice
that will change your life forever?
But what would happen if you don't?

Standing in this space,
looking at their faces,
full of fury, full of pain, full of sadness, full of confusion, full of hate.
What to say?
What to do?
What to think?

What to say, what to do, what to think
when your world is falling apart around you?
What to say, what to do, what to think
when you're about to lose everything?
What to say, what to do, what to think
when you've got to make a choice
that will change your life forever?
But what would happen if you don't?

Take one last breath,
perhaps the last you'll ever know.
Jump into the gap,
hoping and wishing it would be worth it in the end.
Because what do you say, what do you do, what do you think
when your world is falling apart around you?
~~~
So there you go! I hope you enjoyed it, and please feel free to share with me your favorite fierce moment (if you've read the book)!
---
You can find my review of Crewel here. The post also includes links to both the book and to Gennifer Albin.

2 comments:

  1. Love the song. can you do a video singing it maybe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm actually planning to make a video for the scholarship contest, but it depends on if I have time. Maybe a simple acapella version. :)

      But definitely be on the lookout for it. I'll post it on my blog sometime before the end of the scholarship contest if I do make a video so.

      Thank you for stopping by! <3

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear your thoughts. Let me know in the comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...