Saturday, September 7, 2013

Exciting (Personal) News!!!

To take a break from all these blog-related posts, SOMETHING JUST LITERALLY HAPPENED THAT HAS ME FLAILING AROUND.

If you know me well at all (don't worry if you don't), you'd know that I love dance. I've been dancing since I was 3. Dance is my life it seems at times (no, I'm not going professional, though I'd love to if I could). And since I was young, I've wanted to compete. The thing is, my dance school, which is local and fairly small, doesn't allow ballet or pointe routines to go to competition. No big deal, you might be thinking. Except that I've only been allowed to take Ballet/Pointe for the past who knows how many years. Then, this past school year, my parents finally realized that if I ever wanted to go to competition, I'd have to start taking some other form of dance. And thus, I started taking Modern.


Now, I am by no means good at modern. I'm good in the sense that I've been dancing for a long time so I do have some basics down. But the thing is, modern is very different from ballet and pointe. I am a ballerina, and Modern is HARD for me. None of it comes easily, and it's very hard for me to do the combinations and across the floor exercises. But I worked my butt off the entire year in the hopes that I could get into the advanced class. (In the past, the advanced class went to competition.) Then, they suddenly changed things on me. Now, we'd have to audition.

Let me tell you, I've never auditioned for dance almost ever (except that time I did the school musical in 6th grade). I knew I had a huge chance of getting in because I've been going to the same dance school since I was 5, and I am fairly well known in my school as a ballerina. But now, you also have to remember that I've only taken modern for one year. Yeah, I was nervous as hell.

After the audition, I was fairly certain I would make it into the senior company, but we found out that we'd only find out on Sept. 7th (the audition was on Aug. 24th). I went on vacation the very next day, so while I was worrying, I wasn't really worrying yet.

Then last night, I remembered how I was going to find out today. And today, I've tensed up every time I heard the phone ring. And then, just a few minutes ago, I heard the caller-ID say that it was a call from my dance school. I know the girl who was on the phone and everything, and I was just listening to her talking and all that. AND SHE TOLD ME THAT I MADE IT INTO THE SENIOR COMPANY

I doubt you truly understand how I feel right now, but this is literally a dream come true. I've been waiting for this opportunity since I was probably around 9 or 10 when I found out about the competition team. But like I said, I never got the chance. And yeah, I'm pretty sure I was the oldest girl at the audition (those who had already competed didn't need to audition), and most of the girls looked up to me and said I was such a good dancer, but I never got this opportunity that they have when I was their age. Many of them will probably be on the team with me, and this will probably be a dream come true for them too, but most of them are around 10 or 11. I don't think they know what's it's been like for me to watch other dancers, many of them my friends, compete and not be able to do the same. I don't think they understand that I would have been competing a long time ago, at their age, if I had the same opportunities. So yes, they'll be happy and excited, but (no offense) not as happy and excited as me. (Also, I am also in the advanced class for modern now, so I suppose it wouldn't have mattered, but.)

So yeah. I'm sorry for that really long post, but I just had to share this, and I'm just really happy and really excited (as you can tell). This is one of my biggest dreams come true, and now I just can't think about anything else. :P

Lastly, I want to thank anyone who has helped me and supported me and my dancing ever since I started. From my dance family to my dance teachers to my friends. You guys are part of the reason that I got to where I am today. Thank you, thank you, thank you. (Even though most of you will probably never see this.) And also, thank you to anyone who actually read this entire thing (if there even are any). :D

Jess <3

2 comments:

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear your thoughts. Let me know in the comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...